GIF behavior, editor vs wallpaper

I have noticed that GIFs behave differently when viewed in the editor vs the live wallpaper.

I first noticed when trying to switch out images on a timer using $tu(rndimg, .2, directory)$
In the editor images play all the way through, looping if they are shorter than the .2 min timer and changing to the new image as expected.
When applied to the live wallpaper, GIFs keep resetting from the beginning about every 1sec until the .2 min timer, then they change and the next image behaves the same, constantly resetting and only playing the first few frames.

I’ve experimented with several ways to implement this and it seems that anytime the formula is dependent on $tu (either directly or as a reference to another variable) the resetting behavior occurs.

What I really want is for each GIF to play in its entirety and then cycle to the next one, without having to set a specific length, but I’m not sure there’s any way to do that currently, as they can only be set to “loop” or “paused”

I was experimenting with editing the gif to explicitly play once using an external editor and found that it behaves correctly in the editor (plays just once and freezes on last frame), but when applied to live just keeps looping.

1 Like

I’m able to reproduce this issue. Already informed @frank about this.